2014-08-05

Copenhagen/København

As always, if you're impatient and want to see the photos I have on Flickr, here's the link for Copenhagen.

On Friday morning I had breakfast and left to go to the central station. I had booked a seat a few days before so I wasn't too stressed. Nothing much to report for that morning, it was a nice day and 
"Train ends here" "Please do not board"



My train was next

Here it was! Technically, this was the engine for the one going to Flensburg. In Hamburg the two trains split off,.
I had gotten confused when boarding the train and initially though I was walking the wrong direction, and let people get on. Eventually I realized I had been going the right way, but the train was getting a bit full and people were crowding the aisles trying to get to their seats. I had to tell someone they were in my seat, and was unfortunately sitting at a 4-person table (can't stretch out my legs without kicking the person across from me).

The train to Hamburg was quite full. There were already people without seats, but I hoped once we got to Hamburg it would ease up a bit. It didn't. When we pulled into Hamburg there were gasps everywhere as we saw the platform packed with people. Some people were going to Hamburg and got off, but many, many more got on.
Bunch of people trying to get on the train

We were in Hamburg longer than scheduled due to the mass of people. They had to turn away people without reservations after a while because there was simply no more room.
Eventually we made our way and I was quite happy to have paid for a seat reservation. Our train would go on to Puttgarden to hop on a ferry across to Denmark. Yes, the entire train drove into the ship, parked, and we were told to get off the train and go to the upper decks during that time. The ship also ferried cars and trucks across. The upper decks had stores, cafes, cafeterias, and outside decks for the 45 minute trip across the water. I took the time to take plenty of pictures.
Train crossing a bridge

Must be cool to drive next to a train

Puttgarden station, just before the ferry

Driving onto the boat!

The threshold

Cars driving in to park

Our train! You get off on small platform and then step down on the level of the wheels. Not something you experience every day.

The train car I was in.
On the upper decks I walked around a lot, took pictures, and had a quick snack. Lots of people went to the shop because it was duty free in the international waters.
Leaving Germany

It's a real boat!

Wind farms in the background

Danish-flagged ship

Smoke stacks. They made an announcement saying something how this is one of the first hybrid ships, where it stores excess power in batteries.

One more look from the other side

Selfie, but it was bright outside

Bird was flying at the same speed as the ship, so it looked like it was just hovering there.

People enjoying the water views

Another boat!

Waterways were actually quite busy

Seeing land

It's getting closer

First time seeing Denmark

They made the announcement that we were arriving, time to get back to the train!
The journey on the water didn't take long. Overall it's less than an hour, but it was quite an experience. We all got back on the train, people returned to their seats (or aisle spots) as they were before, and the train slowly made its way off the ship. It's amazing that a train can get on and off a boat like that.
Slowly rolling off the boat.

Passing the threshold

In Denmark! More bridges.

With cars driving nearby.
Eventually we made it to Copenhagen. At the station, I tried to figure out how to buy a ticket. There was a huge line for the ATM, so I skipped that and did a quick google search on the different ticket types. See, Copenhagen is switching to a prepaid system where you tap a card when entering and leaving a bus, train, whatever, so it can charge you appropriately. But there's been some issues so they still have the old system of tickets and zones. I went to the machine for the older tickets, set it to English, and poked around until I found the timed tickets. I eventually found the one I wanted (24 hours) and bought it. I'd have to buy some single trip ones for the end of the second day and morning of the last, which I found out I can do on my phone with their app.

I made my way to the apartment I reserved on airbnb. The guy showed me around the place, answered my questions, and then left. I got settled in and met up with an old friend's sister who's also traveling around Europe. We met up, I got a veggie burger at BK (how European!) and wandered around the city with her new friends from her train ride.

The next day I went out and explored some of the sights of the city. I went to Nyhavn (pronounced almost like "New Haven") and walked from there to the star fortress, via the royal palace. I posted the pictures on Flickr (see the start of the post for the link).
Me at Nyhavn
It was a lot walking and the sights were pretty good. Nyhavn is iconic but quite filled with tourists. The royal palace and church really brings you back in time. The star fortress is interesting as well, with historic buildings still in use and just beautiful scenes around it. Nearby was the "Little Mermaid" statue which seems more like a tourist trap than anything else. I'm sure there's some history I didn't know about it, but I was underwhelmed.

After all the walking around in the heat and sun I started walking back towards my place. I went to the "King's park" but it started raining and didn't get to take pictures. I managed to dodge the heaviest rain and took a breather in the apartment.

Later that evening I went back in the town center to take in the sights and eat dinner. I took a bunch of pictures with my phone.
Cool-looking statue 
The city center with lots of construction

I think this was the city hall


A wizard

Another square

Neat building

Lots of people in Copenhagen

Lots of bikes, too

Just a church, I guess


The waterways






A tour boat
I really should have done a walking tour, because I didn't know what I was looking at most of the time. Oh well, next time!

The next day I had my reservation for the train from Copenhagen to Stockholm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment